Valentine’s day is happening and we know love is in the air. But even if you’re single, you can still take advantage of the energy of Valentine’s day. I thought I would write a little spell to help attract love into my life. For me, this is a form of self-love because I’m already in a healthy, loving relationship. I tried to make it as adaptable as possible, so feel free to switch things up to fit your situation.
You will need the following
- A piece of paper and something to write with
- A jar or container with a lid
- Your favorite flower – a picture works fine
- A scent that reminds you of love – cinnamon or roses work well here in either essential oil form or the actual item
- A pink or red candle, depending on what you’re attracting
- Your favorite incense or scented candle
- Set the mood for your spell by lighting your candles, dimming the lights, or whatever it is you do to get into your magickal mindset. For this particular spell, I recommend lighting candles or incense that bring a sense of warmth to your chest. For me, this is patchouli, vanilla, or cinnamon. It will be different for everyone, and that’s ok. This is about setting the scene for you.
- If necessary, cleanse your space. This is important to do if it is a common space in your home, like a bedroom or living room. If you have a permanent altar area that only you have access to, this might not be as important. My favorite ways of cleansing space are through bells and drums. Use your favorite method.
- If your witchcraft calls for it, cast a circle in your preferred method.
- Take the paper and a pen and write down the love you want to attract – bonus points if you pick a colored ink that corresponds with your intention. The things you write down can be as personal and specific as you want. However, I caution you in writing down a specific person’s name – not because of the Wiccan Rede or the Threefold Law, but because when your spell works and this person comes to you, how will you know their love is true? This is a topic for another day but use caution and be true to your path.
- What sort of things can you write?
- Characteristics that you’re looking for, either in yourself or a partner(s) – i.e. attractive, listening skills, handy, etc.
- Emotions you want to attract – i.e. safety, pleasure, romance, etc.
- Whatever you want!
- Place the items you gathered that remind you of love in the middle of the paper. If you have oils or perfumes, then drop or spritz the page with them. Not too much, as you don’t want the smell to be overpowering.
- Then place your favorite flower – or the picture of your favorite flower – in the middle of the paper as well. Flowers are a universal symbol of love and attraction, and that’s why we use them here in this spell.
- Light the pink or red candle and focus on what you want to attract into your life. Think hard about it. What do you want? What kind of person do you want in your life? Or what kind of person do you want to be?
- Roll up the paper and say the following…
- Part the mists and light my way, (true love, friendship, self-love) will come to stay. A flower for affection, (scent) for attraction
- Note: I recommend rolling up the paper instead of folding it. The action of rolling can be an ever-moving force. It forms the paper into a spiral, a perfect representation of the cycle of life and the movement of our bodies and hearts.
- Drip the candle wax over the rolled-up paper to seal it into shape. Say the following as you do so, feeling the warmth from the candle and the peaceful energy flow over you and your space.
- The heat of the flame brings the warmth of love and peace to my heart.
- Slip the paper into your jar and close it. We seal our ingredients inside, away from the excess energy of our everyday lives.
- Let the candle wax drip over the lid to add a loving sealant to the spell jar. Say the following as you do so.
- Sealed with a warm wax kiss, bring to me love and bliss.
- At this point, you can decorate the jar if you want. This step isn’t necessary, though, so don’t feel like you have to do it.
- Once you’re finished with your jar, hold it between your hands with your eyes closed. Focus on what you want. See it in your mind and open your heart to the possibilities that the Universe has to offer you in terms of love and happiness.
- Place the jar in a windowsill – or somewhere that the sun and moon can shine on it – to soak in the warmth of the sun and the peace of the moon.
- Let the pink or red candle burn down if possible. If not, burn it as much as possible over the next several days until it is gone.
- Every Friday, meditate with your spell jar and focus on your intentions. Pour your loving energy into the spell and let it be a beacon to what you want to attract, like a guiding star in the night sky.
What is love to you?
Everyone has a different idea of what love is to them, and this spell is perfectly adaptable to any situation. You can add herbs and other ingredients to the jar as well, as long as they fit the situation. You can use the spell vaguely and simply call for love to enter your life. This is the most common, especially if you’re not looking to find a partner or spouse and just want a bit more in your life.
You can also be very specific about what you want, like Sally Owens in the movie Practical Magic.
He will hear my call a mile away. He will whistle my favorite song. He can ride a pony backwards. He can flip pancakes in the air. He’ll be marvelously kind. And his favorite shape will be a star. And he’ll have one green eye and one blue. – Movie Quotes
Now, her reasons for casting a love spell were entirely different, as she wanted to dream up a man that couldn’t possibly exist so she would never have her heart broken. That’s not the point of this spell, but the way she is specific is a very good example of how your magick can work. You can also add a timeframe to your spell if you want something to happen sooner rather than later. To do this, simply state your intention when you’re sealing the jar. For example, you could say something like the following:
- In one month’s time, true love will be mine.
See how that adds a timeframe to your spell? You would follow the instructions exactly as before, just add this to the end of it.
In my opinion, I like to let my magick work when it needs to. I don’t often put timeframes on my spells because once I cast it, I put my work into the hands of the Universe and my Gods and Goddesses. The choice is entirely yours.
Let me know if you try the spell. I’d love to know how it worked out for you, how it made you feel, or if you have any other spells to share for Valentine’s day! I don’t really celebrate it too much, but I do enjoy taking advantage of the wonderful energy!
Note: I do not take pictures of my own spellwork, so you will not see my own images of this jar.
All content is subject to copyright. It may not be distributed as your own in any way. To share this, please link to my website.